Who To Call
  • ChildLine 0800 1111
  • Police Scotland 101
  • Social Work 0300 300 1199
Hide Page

Checking up on the people who have contact with your child

Keeping Children Safe

If you are worried about someone who has contact with your child, for example a new partner or a child minder, you can use the Keeping Children Safe process to find out more about them.

Keeping Children Safe is run by Police Scotland. If someone has contact with your child the Police will tell you any information that they think you need to know to keep your child safe.

Information is only released to parents or the people who look after a child. It is only released after careful consideration and where it is felt a child is at risk. Keeping Children Safe is not about saying if a sex offender lives in your area.

Call Police Scotland on 101.

You will be transferred to a police officer who will discuss your concerns.

Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme (PVG)

When someone wants to work with children, they usually have to get a PVG check done first. This is a check to make sure that they don’t have any criminal convictions or cautions which would make them unsuitable to work with children.

Depending on the type of check that’s done the person’s name may also be checked against lists of people who aren’t allowed to work with children. The Police and other bodies may also be asked if they have any information about the person which would give make them concerned about the person working with children.

Does your child go to any clubs or groups (for example, a youth club, sports club or drama group)? If they do it’s a good idea to make sure that the people who have contact with your child have been PVG checked. You can do this by speaking to the people who run the group.

Who to Call

If you are unhappy or worried about something speak to your teacher or an adult that you trust.

  • ChildLine0800 1111
  • Police Scotland101
  • Social Work0300 300 1199
  • Social Work (Out Of Hours)0300 343 1505
  • NSPCC Helpline0800 800 5000