You may notice that a child or young person:
- Has unexplained bruising or bruises in an unusual place.
- Seems to be afraid, quiet or withdrawn.
- Seems to be afraid to go home.
- Constantly appears to be tired, hungry, dirty or untidy.
- Seems to be left on their own at home a lot or out playing late with no one coming to check on them.
- Has too much responsibility for their age.
- Knows more than they should about sex for their age or acts in a sexual way that is wrong for a child.
- Misuses drugs or alcohol.
- Tells you something that makes you think the child may have been hurt by someone.
Sometimes adults do things which make us worry about their behaviour towards a child or young person. You may be concerned if an adult:
- Acts in an aggressive, violent or sexual way towards a child or young person.
- Misuses alcohol or drugs while caring for a child.
- Leaves their children unattended and / or with unsuitable adults.