Who To Call
  • ChildLine 0800 1111
  • Police Scotland 101
  • Social Work 0300 300 1199
Hide Page

Domestic abuse and young people

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic Abuse And Young People

Domestic abuse is when abuse and harmful behaviour is carried out by a partner or ex-partner.

  • In most cases it is experienced by women and children.
  • Domestic abuse can affect both males and females and can also happen in same sex relationships.
  • It can be physical, psychological or sexual. 
  • This includes punishment, control, threats, keeping back money, and always putting someone down.

Young people and domestic abuse

Domestic abuse doesn’t only happen to or affect adults. It affects young people too. Domestic abuse doesn't always involve physical violence. Abuse within a relationship is any act that attempts to control the thoughts, feelings or actions of another person. Abuse is when someone says or does something to hurt, scare or threaten someone else in order to have control of them. Anyone can be at risk.

Domestic abuse can leave you feeling lonely, sad scared, confused, angry, frightened, worried and upset.

If you are young person affected by domestic abuse you should speak to an adult you trust. You can also contact:

Childline on 0800 1111
Police Scotland on 101
Social Work on 0300 300 1199 (and 0800 811 505 after 5pm)
NSPCC Helpline on 0800 800 5000

If you want to find out more about how young people are affected by domestic abuse then you can visit the Safe Hub Scotland Website.

Who can help?

If you're in a violent relationship and need practical help you should contact the Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 027 1234 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). It is a freephone number which will not show up on telephone bills. The site is designed so that other people who use your computer will find it hard to tell that you've been on the site.

There's lots of useful information on the Scottish Women's Aid website. You can watch clips from a DVD with young people talking about what it's like to live with domestic abuse. Below is a video produced by Gryyfe High School Pupil Council entitled 'Bullying and Me'.

You can call the Women’s Aid National Helpline on 0808 2000 247 (24 hours, 7 days a week) or Renfreshire Women's Aid on 0141 561 7030 and they can provide details of local services near you which provide refuges, info and support. The Hide Out section of the website is just for young people.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to provide further help and your local social work department can assist if there are children involved. To find your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau go to the Citizens Advice Scotland website (it has a town/ postcode search).

If you are a young woman in a violent and/or abusive relationship, or are affected by domestic violence, you can phone the Women's Support Project on 0141 552 2221 or have a look at the Women's Support Project website.

Who to Call

If you are unhappy or worried about something speak to your teacher or an adult that you trust.

  • ChildLine0800 1111
  • Police Scotland101
  • Social Work0300 300 1199
  • Social Work (Out Of Hours)0300 343 1505
  • NSPCC Helpline0800 800 5000