Who To Call
  • ChildLine 0800 1111
  • Police Scotland 101
  • Social Work 0300 300 1199
Hide Page

What should I do if I think my friend, or someone I know is being abused?

If you are worried that a friend, or someone you know is being abused it is important to speak to an adult that you trust.

Sex and Young PeopleYou can also call:

Childline on 0800 1111
Police Scotland on 101
Social Work on 0300 300 1199 (and 0800 811 505 after 5pm)
NSPCC Helpline on 0800 800 5000

You could let your friend know that you are there for them if they want to talk. Be prepared that they may not want to talk to you about it as they may be scared about what will happen if they tell someone.

If they have told you what’s happening to them, encourage them to tell an adult they trust.

In cases of sexual abuse, neglect or physical abuse you should tell an adult you trust what is going on.

Warning signs that someone you know might be being abused

There might be obvious signs that someone you know might be being abused (like bruises or cuts) but signs can also be hidden under clothes. They might be quieter than usual or may be more angry. Warning signs that someone you know might be being abused can include:

  • Unexplained injuries or burns which keep happening
  • Excuses for how injuries have happened or refusing to say how they have happened at all
  • Wearing clothes to cover injuries, even in hot weather
  • Refusing to get changed for PE
  • Bald patches
  • Running away from home a lot
  • Being afraid of being touched

Who to Call

If you are unhappy or worried about something speak to your teacher or an adult that you trust.

  • ChildLine0800 1111
  • Police Scotland101
  • Social Work0300 300 1199
  • Social Work (Out Of Hours)0300 343 1505
  • NSPCC Helpline0800 800 5000